Tuesday 11 July 2006

Bethlehem Explodes in an Outlet

I was in bed when the city turned into a screaming horn. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of football, but what happened yesterday to the city was a bit too much, even for a fan.
Hearing people chanting from the restaurant next to my house, I managed to watch the World Cup on audio. I knew that France and Italy got a draw by the end of the official match. Then, no golden goals were scored, leaving Italy to win in penalty kicks. I got all that information just by listening to those football fans in the restaurant.
Well, that was nothing. The moment the fans realised that Italy won the World Cup, no one in the city was left sleeping. People were shouting and beeping their horns like crazy. Some put on some fire-works, Christmas lights or loud music. This lasted about an hour, no kidding.
In the morning, going to the shop to buy breakfast, I heard some people talk about what happened as being extremely mad. One man said that it sounded like as if we won our independence from the Israeli Occupation.
Palestinians need something to direct their energies into. I just wish it was something else. Something more meaningful and useful to them individually. I do not mean that being a fan of a sport is not something useful. I am just thinking that if one would explode with emotions - which last an hour - for football matches, every four years, that it might be useful for one to practice some other hobbies and activities. I mean such activities during which one can sing loudly, shout, hit or kick a ball, run for a mile, or go for demos.
Hopefully, one day, a similar outlet would be demonstrated when the Palestinian national football team wins the gold.

2 comments:

  1. Go read my account of the final game...
    Good blog btw... keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some latest links to sites where I found some information: http://googleindex.info/389.html or http://indexmachine.info/1586.html

    ReplyDelete