Friday 3 November 2006

Bethlehem Under Attack

I felt very sleepless last night. There was some tension in the air. Dogs were barking and an Israeli war-plane was flying over the city. I went and spent some time at a friend's. On the way back home, a bit before dawn, I heard the plane whooshing over my head.
I could not help but wonder if something bad would happen this morning. I even thought, 'The plane is flying quite close to the neighbourhood. What would I do if it starts launching missiles now. What if it happened to me and I became one of those "in the wrong place, at the wrong time".' I hushed those thoughts and quickly rushed back home.
I s**t you not. Half an hour after I got to bed, and was dossing off, a thud woke me up. The church bells started a minute later and I thought that it must have been the bells. I got a negative answer almost immediately when a second thud went. 'Was that an explosion? It sounds like an explosion'. Few minutes later, I heard a third.
I rushed to the television to check up the news. Nothing. Actually, it was quite weird. The Israeli Occupation Forces were having different operations at the same time in different parts of the Occupied Territories. You hear the explosions in Bethlehem and then you watch the news about four killed in Alshuja'iya in the Gaza Strip after their car was targeted by a missile, and more Palestinians killed in Beit Hanoun.
The mosques' call of prayers started by that stage. In the news, IOF demolishing a mosque in Beit Hanoun, with dozens of worshipers and militants, who sought refuge, in it.
Mad morning.
There were no details about what was happening in Bethlehem until an hour ago. You see, it is Friday - people's day off. Besides, all that started around 4 before dawn, and the city was surrounded.
I finally managed to realise what was going on.
The Israeli military operation in Bethlehem is still running.
An Islamic Jihad affiliated member is sought by the IOF, who were faced by some resistance from armed Palestinians. The IOF responded with arbitrary gunshots and tear gas grenades at the residents of the surrounded area. Did the IOF - or you - expect the Palestinians to stand still while the Israeli army is intruding over their peaceful day? If your house was stormed by thieves in the middle of the night, would you not try to resist the burglary?
Until this instant, an 80-year old women and a 10-year old child are in serious condition, a 30-year old man and a woman are moderately wounded, and another woman suffers slight injuries. In addition, a 22-year old man was arrested by the IOF. Apparently, he belongs to the same tribe to whom the sought man belongs.

Read more on this on the news




2 comments:

  1. Dream of peace... if enough of us do it will become real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it needs a bit more than dreaming of peace.
    It has been a mad day...

    ReplyDelete