Thursday 16 November 2006

Two Sisters Witness Undercover Israeli Operation in Ramallah

From The Electronic Intifada Diaries

"Four hours ago my sister Emily, her curator Carolyn and I were shot at by the Israeli army. My nerves are still shaky. We've been drinking every since. My legs are weak. I feel I can't stand on them...I was alone in the front seat. Emily and Carolyn were in the back. Suddenly, there was a van directly in front of our car. He veered a bit towards our car. I slowed down, wondering how I was going to pass him. And then he emerged from his window... pointing an M-16 across the street and spraying bullets. The three of us hit the floor of the car. All around us... shooting, shooting, shooting. So close. So close."
Anne-Marie Jacir, a Palestinian film-maker living in Ramallah

More from Anne-Marie's Diary, 15 Nov 2006

"Today is November 15th. Today is our supposed "Independence Day". A joke. Was almost killed today. This will be brief and inarticulate. I am still in shock...I peeked again, to see some Israelis beating the shit out of a Palestinian man and throwing him into their van. The mustarabeen next to us got back into their van. As we were in their way they smashed into our car and sped off. Meanwhile in front of us and to the right, the Israelis started to pull back. Kids started throwing stones. They shot at us again. They started pulling back again."
Emily Jacir, a Palestinian artist who lives between Ramallah and New York City

More from Emily's Diary, 15 Nov 2006

3 comments:

  1. Crazy.

    We need to think of ideas about how we get people to buy more Palestinian products and therefore sustain the economy and those families who depend on work.

    I set up a company in the UK to sell Palestinian clothing, but I'm about out of money and ideas.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joe,
    Thank you for your comment.
    It is very understood that such a thing would happen, I mean, running out of money and ideas. It is all about people's reactions and cooperation.
    Palestinian traditional clothing is amazing. All embroidered and coloured with the most beautiful patterns.
    The items are also expensive, as they take ages to make. However, some people might be willing to invest some money in little items like a purse, wallet, specs carrier or a book-mark.
    Check this website out;
    Palestinian Heritage Centre
    I will write more about this. You just gave me a marvellous idea for a next post. Thank you.
    Take care and don't worry about your little one. Children are always influenced by everything they see and hear. Just try your best to put her in a good-influence setting. Regardless, it does sound that you're doing alright.
    Much love and salaam

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were shot at with an M-16, you would not be here to post this stuff. Go to YouTube and look at those heroic "Palestinian Freedom Fighters" that when confronted by Israeli soldiers, grabbed palestinian children off the streets and used them as human shields. Here are your heroes, the bunch of pussies they are.

    ReplyDelete